Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Journal 6: Reflection of the First 5 Week

     I’ve learned so many things about html and css over the past five weeks.  With each class session and doing the book exercises gave me more of an understanding about how html and css work and function. While doing the book exercises and lab work the one thing I truly learned was to be patient while typing in HTML Elements.  I learned that one small error in your HTML element can changed the whole formation of your html page. 

     For instance if you’re missing the close tabs </> of the html elements they will continue to run until an end mark is made.  In one of the book exercises I had typed in left margin: and then provide the coding and my page wasn’t indent it to the left.  After looking over my elements I realize that the reason why my page didn’t indent because I forgotten to put a dash which it should have been left-margin:.  The hardest and frustrating thing about html and css is when I would preview the page and code links were broken which caused images not to appear.  Which meant I would have to go back and save images under jpg or gif, take the picture out of the images folder and place it in a different location, or rewrite the location of the url for the images. This happened during book exercise in Chapter 6 and Chapter 7.  To link up the exercises to our Cal Poly Account we had place all the exercises and save the work as index.html.  Well in Chapter 6 and 7 the home page was also place as an index.html which caused confusion for the links to go to other page, and for images not to appear on the screen.  I had to save Chapter 6 and 7 index page in a different name and go to the other pages linked to the exercise and change the html coding each of the pages.  My changing the html coding on each of the pages allowed my links to go to different pages, and for my images to appear on the page.  


     Another hard thing was to making sure that the html and css were coded exactly in order to have the right html page be displayed correctly.  It was so rewarding when I was able to figure out where my mistakes was and I knew how to fix my error.  It has been very rewarding seeing my process during the first five weeks up till now.  With spending time in the computer lab working on the book exercises and seeing the final html and css complete and done correctly made me feel accomplished and excited because I’m doing to these exercises successfully.  I can read or hear an html element or css element such as paragraph element, heading element, table row/column, italicize, indent, background, making sure each page starts with a !DOCTYPE html, have an open and close html and body for my page and etc. and know which elements to type into Dreamweaver without relying on notes to look up that information.  Everything that I’ve learned to this point has prepare me to start designing my webpage for the final project.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~cpeniche/ged512/book%20excerises/

http://www.csupomona.edu/~cpeniche/ged512/labs/labs.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment