Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Journal 7: Professional Learning Network



     This is the first time that I had used the networking concept for my professional career.  It has been a wonderful learning experience by being engaged in networking for my professional growth, and I’ve learned so much by networking professionally.  

     The affinity group that I joined is Classroom 2.0.  In this affinity group are teachers that incorporate technology used into their lessons and for everything else in their classroom.  In this affinity group what I’ve been learning professional is by participating in the Classroom 2.0 LIVE presentations on Saturday night.  Where teachers get to share what technology applications or programs they’re using in the classroom that is showing student success.  During the presentations the audiences can ask questions by sharing questions on the desktop, and the audiences can engaged with each other by using the chat feature on the desktop.  I watched a presentation with Linda Rood who teaches a second/third grade combo class and she shared how she uses the iPad applications of Kidblog, Edmodo, Spelling and Brain Pop to enhance students learning experiences and students meeting individual goals.  She showed the audience on how to create an iBook and videos, and showed examples of her students work using these programs.  During the two hour live presentations I was expose to different applications and features on the iPad that I wasn’t aware that can enhance student learning and have students meet individual learning goals.  On the desktop I was interacting with teachers bouncing ideas back and forth of how else can we the applications, or what projects and activities are students can do.  By being part of the affinity group my professional development is growing because I am collaborating, learning, and engaging with other teachers of how incorporating technology in the classroom is beneficial to the students.  Using the RSS feeds has made me expand on my professional knowledge.  Through Digg Stream I was to enhance my knowledge about the Common Core Standards on how the standards will be implementing in the classroom, and how to incorporate lessons the new standards.  I am preparing for my professionally by learning and studying the new Common Core Standards, so that when I do get hired full time as a teacher I am prepare of what the standards are and how to teach the standard to my future students.

     I’ve really enjoyed using blogs in this course to complete the assignments.  This is a great way for us to express our thoughts and experiences by writing about it for our different assignments.  Also using the blog for this course is a great way to stay connected with our classmates by reading what they wrote about, and we can comment on each other page with suggestions, or ideas to enhance their original ideas.  Some of my co-workers, family, and friends have found my blog and they told me they’ve enjoyed reading what I’ve learned in this course thus far, and how I’m using technology in the course as well.  Having a blog in the classroom would be great for students to improve on writing skills, exchanging ideas with each other students, and have students would have accountability to make sure that their blog is proofread, edited, and submitted by the due day.  With students having blogs it is important for students to have privacy and to protect their identity from outsiders.  Teachers need to set up blogs to where the teacher is the only that can see their blogs in order to protect the students from outsiders.  For my personal social networking I don’t use Twitter, but I can see how using Twitter would be beneficial for my professional networking and also to be used in the classroom.  A teacher can give out an assignment for the students to find an image or video of a particular topic and the students can hash tag the following image or video to the feed.  Using Twitter could have been more effective in this class if we would have followed our classmates and been given an assignment through Twitter to see the out coming of using Twitter for the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment